Training English Teachers to Improve Literacy
Thank you to all our donors, we have met our fundraising goal!
Palmera will support the development and implementation of a curriculum for teacher training at an English school in Siem Reap, Cambodia. English competency has long been poor in vulnerable communities in Cambodia with little investment provided to local teachers servicing these areas.
This project aims to develop a 2-year curriculum for 20 teachers. The training will be conducted by the Australian Centre for Education at the school (Volunteer Development Children’s Association).
The training will take into account culturally sensitive issues. Some teachers will also be trained to provide ongoing training to future new teachers so that a long-term sustainable solution is achieved.
- Provides 20 teachers with English language training
- By improving teacher standards, school students can improve their English competency and gain access to employment in the hospitality industry or further education
- Provides training in teaching methods and culturally sensitive issues
- Provides training to some teachers to provide ongoing training to future new teachers
- Identifies high performing school students so they can partake in the teacher training course which would lead them to become teachers.
The Volunteer Development Children’s Association (VCDA) is an English school that focuses on free supplemental English teaching for any child, irrespective of their financial status. Cambodia has struggled with improving the level of English in vulnerable communities as little investment has been provided to the local teachers servicing this community. There is a large reliance placed on visiting teachers, however, this also presents challenges due to short timeframes, inconsistent teaching approaches and a lack of appreciation of teaching English as a second language.
This project aims to provide English language training to 20 teachers over two years. It also provides training in teaching methods. The objective is that these teachers can then develop the competencies of the students at the VCDA school.
In Cambodia, the mission of the Australian Centre for Education (ACE) is to provide quality English instruction to foster human resource development. ACE is part of IDP Cambodia’s English language school and has earned official accreditation with the National ELT Accreditation Scheme (NEAS), the official accrediting body for English Language Training (ELT) schools in Australia.